Monday, December 6, 2010

U.S. cable: China ordered Google Hack

New light on the atmosphere of suspicion and tension between the USA and China are BEIJING - known U.S. diplomatic cables to shed that around a massive break between Google and the Chinese Government.

The cables of the WikiLeaks site collected and edited by news organizations include allegations that sophisticated cyber attacks on Google that the company publicly complained about earlier this year, were ordered from top Chinese leaders. Document as China increasingly under pressure put on Google in over the years, its seeks to censor within China. According to a cable authorities can have intensified the intimidation in the past year by working three State telecommunications companies with U.S. search giant to stop.

Decided this year that Google co-operation with authorities and move the search services from People's Republic of China jeopardise its future in the world's largest Internet market, to stop after the number of users.

WIKICHINAAssociated press the cable included allegations that sophisticated cyber attacks on Google that the company publicly complained about earlier this year, were ordered from top Chinese leaders. Here, headquarters of Google China in Beijing.

Several news organizations, including the New York Times and the guardian, more than a quarter million cable had access to before WikiLeaks make public late last month. The cables on Google from some of these newspapers published websites, many officials from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing based on research and interviews with different people. Names of sources were on some cable so that it is difficult to assess their credibility edits. Details could be verified independently.

A cable noted, that Google's announcement earlier this year that it would stop co-operation with Chinese censorship regulations "presents a great dilemma" for the Chinese Government because it Google more interesting and attractive to Chinese Internet users "forbidden fruit" He also said allegations at the time of Chinese authorities made Google worked with the U.S. Government to undermine the Chinese Government were part of a strategy to "Appeal to Chinese nationalism."

Another cable recorded conversations with Dan Piccuta, formerly Deputy Head of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and unnamed individuals via Google increasing censorship pressure confronted because a member of the Politburo allegedly entered his name in his search and discovered that the company's site is global uncensored, that Chinese search results is included critical about it.

The cable said three ministries were invited to ask Google to stop its "illegal activities" that it providing links from the Chinese sites filtered at to its unfiltered global website said included. Google rejected because it was "against company policy."

Google has now responded to a request for comment.

Failed efforts to compromise with authorities, and a person, which name from the published cable was omitted, said that telecoms, China work with Google asked to stop. This would be a "heavy blow" because Google mobile Internet in China was heavily betting said the individual.

The cable recommended a "high level" Government response there, although the individual information was unverifiable, commercial retaliation by the Government on Google seemed "very possible" and "Cause for serious concern."

Google of later decision publicly deny cooperation with Chinese censors have commercial consequences. Although many Smartphones that are using Google Android operating system currently sold in China, the world's largest mobile market by number of subscribers, some companies even from Google have distanced by pre-installing on their mobile phones links to the search engines of Google's competitors, Baidu Inc. and Microsoft's Bing this year.

The New York Times reported that one of the cable tracing cyber-attacks on Google senior propaganda official Li Changchun and top security official Zhou Yongkang, both members of the Politburo of Standing Committee, the Communist Party the nine-member Steering Committee, on information from a Chinese unnamed source with elite family connections is based.

The "attacks had from the information Office State supervision of Mr. Li and Mr Zhou coordinated been", said the cable according to the report.

Attempts to get the comment by the Chinese Government and the individuals named were unsuccessful.

Mr. Li is far from experts believed, to increased at the head of China's censorship regime in the past two years, to sanctions against sites like Google and the Chinese competitor Baidu led, and the shuttering of thousands of sites, but the speculation still not confirmed.

The number of people with direct know of what is discussed in the Politburo Committee meetings is very small and speak only rarely, if ever foreign diplomats and journalists. The New York Times said it the source quoted in the cable for Mr Li contacted and that the source said some of the content in the cable, Mr. Li disputed personally monitor a campaign against Google operations in China, but he had to do with no knowledge of Mr Li with something Google hacker attacks.

Meanwhile, also he told the New York Times contacted, to a person who cited said, in a cable China's State offices shall say a report to the senior State and Government in this spring that "by the Google incident and other reinforced checks and surveillance as real-name registration, reached a conclusion: the Web is basically controlled."

Other cable attacks including correspondence from the U.S. State Department, examples of hacking allegedly from China in the information, including emails and passwords from a US Government Agency were stolen.

Write toLoretta Chao at the loretta.chao@wsj.com


View the original article here

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment