Friday, December 3, 2010

Labour scolds 'Complacent' snow response - BBC News

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond is been accused of "Breathtaking complacent" about the Government response to the recent winter weather.

Response to an urgent question submitted by labour's Roberta Blackman Woods on 2 December 2010, he said: "in the unusually heavy and persistent snow in much larger quantities we last few days seen have experienced were earlier this year down much of the eastern side of the country."

"The vast majority of strategic transport network has openly held was road and rail services this week but, the worst affected have disrupted seriously snow been."

"Open highway work authorities, roads to keep, but delays caused by broken vehicles and minor accidents."

"It is clear that depots, prevent access to motorway abandoned and damaged vehicles access prevent Gritters and, in some cases, an important factor in the situation yesterday seen."

On a picture of the scale of the problem, Mr Hammond said 100,000 tons of snow have been deleted in the last 24 hours from Gatwick Airport, but the flights was grounded.

On the rail network, Mr Hammond said night "ghost trains" performed is in an attempt to keep open but lines "build of ice on third Rails over the southeastern and southern networks have led to loss of makes and trains is stranded, causing severe delays and cancellations".

The problem was countries across Europe concerns he insisted with Geneva Airport closed for 36 hours due to the weather.

Mr Hammond said: "the Government fully recognizes the frustration of travellers and we do everything we, keeping to move from the United Kingdom."

But Ms. Blackman-Woods claimed had the Government no "coordinated response" to the situation.

And shadow transport Secretary Maria Eagle said Mr Hammond was "demonstrated a stunning degree of complacency".

She added: "you are not fill it with any kind of trust that your responsibility adequately deal."


View the original article here

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment