Friday, December 10, 2010

Haiti review results of choice

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - clashes between rival political factions continued here for a second day of the elections said it would review the results of the presidential elections of last month due to allegations of fraud and voters intimidated.

HAITIPositions adopted during the conflict between rival presidential candidates in the capital Reuters Haitian police Thursday.

The Haitian Provisional Election Commission said Thursday it would set a "Commission of check" to check votes for the top three candidates 28 vote in November. The Board will review directed by the Government and composed of Haitian and international election observers - some of whom have called into question results published in this week - and representatives of the three most important vote getter.

The Council cited "Problems and dissatisfaction with results" and said, a thorough review was required "The Haitian people calm full transparency" of the process.

Michel Thibault, a spokesman for the constituency said Council, the Commission will meet Friday and soon tells the votes.

That do not suppress demonstrators who said the election was rigged and took to the streets for a second day on Thursday.

Haitian riot police and UN peacekeeping forces clashed with crowds of demonstrators in Port-au-Prince. Tear gas used against demonstrators earthquake buried in a tent camp for refugees from January, hundreds of people on the run in the streets send.

At least one person was killed and two injured Thursday in the capital.

Before the decision to review the preliminary results, the Council had tried the elections to disable two candidates for a runoff election in January. It found that won Mirlande Manigat, a former first lady, 31% of the vote and Jew Célestin, an engineer, favoured by the ruling party, came in second 22.5%.

[SB10001424052748703493504576007563998325664]Guillermo Arias / associated press demonstrated in Port-au-Prince supporters of presidential candidate Michel Martelly Wednesday.

Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly, a singer who was popular poor Haitian, came in third 21.8%, the Council said. Only woman Manigat and Mr Célestin would qualify for the ballot under the rules.

The announcement of the results of Wednesday sparked violence as thousands of demonstrators on the streets carrying some weapons and does a building on fire. Many said Mr Célestin, who is supported by Haitian President René Préval, unfair second had taken place.

Doubt on the official count of the U.S. Embassy, call the results inconsistent with characters from international and domestic observers. The United Nations said it was concerned about alleged fraud.

At one point Wednesday Mr. of Préval's put demonstrators fire on the headquarters party. A lot that fought with UN peacekeepers in parts of Port-au-Prince and airport was closed after American Airlines canceled flights.

It was unclear which Thursday the political groups the violence was encouraging.

Mr. of Martelly's campaign headquarters published a press release saying that Mr. of Celestin's worshippers of chaos caused and distribution of weapons.

Mr. of Celestin's camp has his finger in the other direction, Mr. of Martelly's supporters pointed out the blame for the violence.

Some Haitians Thursday seemed to think that recount results would become known that day. A 20 year old student, who said he was a supporter of Mr Martelly said "What I am waiting to hear, the Electoral Commission says tonight,". But he added: "I am concerned it could force bad."


View the original article here

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment